April 23, 2015 § Leave a comment
After making my first animal hat – the bear – I really wanted to experiment with some different styles.
Bear hat finished (above)
The bear hat turned out really well, but there are a few things I would have done differently in retrospect. The hat was too cap-like, and really worked more as a mask than a hat, the muzzle extended too far over the face, and the sides of the hat were too short.
So when I started on my next hat I decided to work on these points. I decided this time I was going to make a fox hat, and use 100% wool that I had washed and dyed.
I used the wool from Windmill Hill City Farm and dyed it with food colouring to create foxy colours (lots of orangey browns)
I wet felted the ears separately, stitched them on and then needle felted over the seam. I then needle felted on the details like the eyes, nose and mouth.
With this hat, I cut into the sides half way through the felting process to create a frayed effect, which I really like!
I still think I need to work on making the head shape rounded in the initial wet felting stage. Because I start off by felting the whole thing flat around a resist, I have found it is difficult to predict the shape it will be when opened out. With this one I had to cut away some of the head and stitch it back up again to make the shape better, but I think the dome of the head is still a bit too pointy.
There is still a lot that I would like to refine when I make my next hat, but I really love this one! I wore it to my last market stall when it was half finished, and it got a lot of positive attention! I have also just started the base for a hare hat, so I will be writing about that soon!